Skip to content

How-to Reflections, Mr. McRae

November 18, 2009

Now it’s time to reflect on our How-to writing unit. Here are a few questions:

1. What are some features of a How-To?
  2. What is the purpose of a How-To?
  3. What is your favorite part about writing a How-To?
  4. What would you like to get better at when writing a How-To?

Advertisements
9 Comments leave one →
  1. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    November 18, 2009 6:34 pm

By: Natasha
    11/18/09

What are some features of a How-To?

1. In a How-To if you are teaching someone how to bake something like a cake or cookies you have to put how much of each ingredient to use because if someone wants to make it they won’t know how to make it.

2. You should also put what size tools to use because if you don’t then if a person wants to make something and they don’t have the right size tool when they finish making it, it will be too big or too little.

What is the purpose of a How-To?

The purpose of a How-To is so people can learn how to cook different kinds of foods. Also because some people want to learn how to make different kinds of art and stories and many other things because they want to teach other people how to make them.

What is your favorite part about writing a How-To?

My favorite part about writing a How-To is that you get to write it about anything you want.(as long as you know how to make, bake, or do it.)

What do you like to get better at when writing a How-To?

What I would like to get better at is knowing what kind of How-to to do because I have a hard time trying to figure out what kind of How-To to do. Because I like to know what tools and ingredients to use right away when I am doing one about making something I want to get the steps right. I like the steps.

2. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    November 18, 2009 7:09 pm

By: Jesse
    11/18/09

What are some features of a How-To?

Some features in a How-to are instructions, ingredients and tools.

What is the purpose of a How-To?

The purpose of a How-To is teaching somebody how to do or make something. That’s why it’s called a How-To.

Which is your favorite part about writing a How-To? Why?

My favorite part was writing the instructions because you have to think about everything you do.

What would you like to get better at when writing a How-To?

I would like to get better at putting more steps in my instructions.

3. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    November 20, 2009 4:34 pm

What are some features of a how-to?

Some features are adding the ingredients and tools. You need tools to make the things. The ingredients are things that you eat when you make the thing.

What is the purpose of a how-to?

The how-to teaches you how to make something. You need to know how to get it just right. If you don’t have the how-to then you won’t get it
    right.

Which is your favorite part about writing a how-to?Why?

My favorite part is getting to write a how-to again and again because it lets people know how to make some things a lot. They just have to go on the computer and find the recipe.

What would you like to be better at when writing a how-to?

I want to improve knowing my materials. Because I sometimes forget my materials. Then if someone looks at my materials maybe they will have a problem making it.

4. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    December 11, 2009 4:07 pm

By: Yetunde

1.What are some features of a how-to?

Like when your making an introduction, steps, ingredients, and materials.

2.What is the purpose of a how-to?

A purpose of a how-to is to teach someone how to make something or do something.

3.What were you good at when you wrote your how-to?

Mostly everything because I already know how to make what I’m going to teach them.

4.What would you like to get better at when writing a how-to?

My introduction because I need to persuade the person that’s going to make it.

5. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    December 11, 2009 4:35 pm

By: Kassidey

1.What are some features of a How-to?

Some features are when you make an introduction, steps and tools.

2. What is a purpose of a How-to?

The purpose is to teach people how to make something.

3. What were you good at when you wrote you’re How-To?

I was good at my introduction and steps.

4. Which is your favorite part about writing your how-to?

Everything because I am so good at it and I like it.

5. What would you like to get better at writing the How-to?

I would like to get better at my introduction and spelling.

6. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    December 15, 2009 5:05 pm

By: Marisol

What are some features of a how-to?
    You need introduction and steps and tools.

What is a purpose of a how-to?
    To teach some people how to do things.

What were you good at when you wrote your how-to?
    I was good at the peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Which is your favorite part about writing a how-to why?
    My favorite thing is when I write my how-to. Because it is like teaching someone.

What would you like to get better at when you are writing a how to?
    I want to get better at making cupcake.

7. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    December 15, 2009 5:29 pm

By: Oscar

What are some features of a how-to? Some features are steps, ingredients, materials and the title.

What is the purpose of a how-to? The purpose of a how-to is to show how to make something.

What were you good at when you wrote your How-to? I was good at writing my how-to.

Which is your favorite part about writing a How-to? why? My favorite part was when I was looking for my picture because I get to choose a picture that I want.

What would you like to get better at when writing a How-to? I would like to get better at when I do steps and capitalizing the s in steps.

8. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    December 17, 2009 6:19 pm

By: Brian B.

What are some features of a How-to?
    The features of a How-to is steps, pictures, introduction, ingredients, and tools.

What is the purpose of a How-to?
    The purpose of a How-to is you could do whatever How-to you want.

What were you good at when you wrote your How-to?
    I was good at putting the steps, ingredients, and tools.

Which is your favorite part about writing a How-to?Why?
    I like putting the steps. Because you write what you wrote in your notebook.

What would you like to get better at when writing a How-to?
    I would like to make more steps and write more too.

9. Mr. McRae's Class permalink
    December 23, 2009 5:13 pm

By: Jackie

What are some features of a how-to?
    1). Steps
    2). Introduction
    3). The things you need

What is the purpose of a how-to?

The purpose is to teach people how to make food that they never taste before.

What were you good at when you wrote your how-to?

I am good at writing a how-to because I have been practicing at my house.

Which is your favorite part of writing a how-to?Why?

My favorite part was getting pictures because I like to look at other pictures.

What would you like to get better at when writing a how-to?

I want to get better at getting a good idea about what I’m going to write.