Internet Research — Saving Links to the Blog
Our goals for Today’s Lesson:
- Define what we’re looking for when we research
- Learn what is on the 3rd grade blog that can help you with your research
- Talk about creating “Key Words” from a guiding question
- Searching within a website (like Portaportal, or PBSKids.org)
- Searching within a “search engine” (like Google or Yahoo)
- Find a good website on your topic, and follow the steps below to save the link as a “comment” on the blog
How to save your links:
Below are steps to find kid-friendly websites and save links to them on our blog as “comments”.
- Open Firefox and go to the 3rd Grade Blog (ps124third.wordpress.com) and find a post that you will add your links to*
- Open a new “Tab” by clicking “File” at the top of your screen, and “New Tab”
- Open Google.com in your new tab (Now you have 2 websites open in 2 tabs)
- Search in Google for a website, using your Keywords (Keywords example: “Lions Kids” to find websites about lions)
- Highlight the web address by clicking on it 3 times
- Click “Edit” at the top of your screen and choose “Copy”
- Click on your “Tab” with the 3rd Grade Blog opened in it
- Scroll to the bottom of that post and click in the box under “Leave a Reply”
- Click “Edit” at the top of the screen, and choose “Paste”
- Click “Return”, type your key words (example: Lions), and click the “Submit Comment” button under where you typed your comment.
* NOTE: to find any post in the Mr. McRae Class Category, look for the Category drop down menu on the left of the page, or choose the page at the top of the website that says Ms. Manti’s class, then find the link to the category.