Media Ed Plan Introduction
Need: 9 Mac Laptops
Rhys’ role — help teachers 1.) get comfortable with the technology, 2.) design routine activities that teach media literacy and technological fluency
We’ve tried a lot of things, and come up with some basic goals based on what’s been successful, and the broad standards.
How this will take hold in various classrooms will be different, as it has been, but our goal will be to establish a set of standards within the school with objective goals for students.
Scan latest blog posts. Brief discussion of media education, social networking (myspace, blogs), and Internet safety. Key ideas (covered in blog posts listed below:
- technological skills (tech fluency)
- critical thinking skills (literacy/media literacy)
- Internet safety (learning by doing)
- Goals for Students: The PS 124 Media Education Plan: Becoming a 21st Century School (blog post)
- Goals for Staff: The PS 124 Media Education Plan for Staff (blog post)
Review the blog basics:
- Justification for the blog: 21st Century Education (blog post)
- tool for publishing (writing, images, videos)
- tool for “many to many” communication (comments from Scotland, TN)
- students learn Internet safety, fluency, typing, and about 21st century communication within a safe educational community
- Log in as “ps124teacher”
- Leave a comment on the Media Ed plan for staff post.