Skip to content

Lessons on Friendship, 2 videos

June 27, 2007

Friendship video stillMs. Caputo’s class has been discussing what it means to be a good friend this year. Students explored the issue through writing and discussion. Working with Ms. Caputo and Mr. Rhys, the students wrote two 3-sentence stories based on their themes, then adapted those sentences into video scripts. Students learned the basics of video production by figuring out how their message could be communicated using images and sound by storyboarding 3 “shots” for each script. Students had to decide between “close-ups”, “mid shots” or “wide shots” to express visually the information in their written stories. Through this process they saw how there were multiple ways to tell the same story. The following videos are the result of their work. Enjoy!

Advertisements
9 Comments leave one →
  1. aredden permalink
    August 29, 2007 10:31 pm

You guys did a great job on these videos!!

2. August 30, 2007 1:35 pm

aredden,
    Thanks for the comment. I’ll make sure the former members of 4-308 find it!

3. teacher4life permalink
    September 1, 2007 8:39 pm

Dear 4th Graders….

WOW! What a great site! I teach fourth grade in
    Indiana and we are going to start our FIRST
    READING BLOG SITE this year! I am excited to
    share this site with my students! YOU DID A
    GREAT JOB! Nice work, we are very impressed.

Mrs. B and the students from Room 109

4. September 2, 2007 6:17 pm

Mrs. B,
    Thanks for the great comment!
    We will be getting our blogs rolling again in October. Would you like to collaborate on a discussion between blogs with your class and a fourth grade class at PS 124 this year? If so, let me know and we can design something that will help the kids get some meaningful Internet, writing, and social networking practice this year!

Mr. Rhys, TMS

5. teacher4life permalink
    September 3, 2007 1:39 am

OF COURSE!!! They would LOVE IT- Let me know all the details of who, when, where, and how you would like to do this! Can’t wait to tell the kids this week! As we say in Indiana, “Can’t wait to hear from y’all!”

Mrs. B & Room 109

6. September 4, 2007 2:00 pm

Mrs. B,
    I will email you with some ideas. In the mean time, take a look at some of our correspondence with a school in Scotland last year:

1. Initial Contact
    2. An assignment
    3. Our correspondence on their blog
    4. Video Introduction

We didn’t have much time to plan activities that would allow the kids to take off with this, but we’re brainstorming now!

7. teacher4life permalink
    September 5, 2007 12:31 am

This looks great! I am so impressed with how our kiddos do with these types of mediums. My kids are jumping out of their shoes with anticipation!
    I will go over some ideas with my students this week. Get their thoughts about activites as well.

It is interesting, my husband’s grandfather is from Aberdeen. He speaks of it often and we still have relatives there! Very cool!

jb

8. Ms. Martinez permalink*
    October 18, 2007 8:58 pm

Mr. B,

Like you, I am impressed with the work my students are doing in technology. They are getting smarter every year and we are fortunate to have Mr. Rhys working with us for the past 3 years.

I am looking forward to hearing from my students about their work with your class.

Ms. Martinez, Principal