Skip to content

Whitman List Poem, Theme 4: Landscapes

October 25, 2006

5TH GRADE FAMILY LIST POEM
The following excerpt from “There was a Child went Forth” will be followed by a “List Poem” by Classes 5-303 and 5-302, entered one line at a time as “Comments” to this blog post.

Click the title of this post (Whitman List Poem, Theme 4: Landscapes) and scroll down to read through our list of poetry lines.

Men and women crowding fast in the streets—if they are not flashes and specks, what are they?
The streets themselves, and the façades of houses, and goods in the windows,
Vehicles, teams, the heavy-plank’d wharves—the huge crossing at the ferries,
The village on the highland, seen from afar at sunset—the river between,
Shadows, aureola and mist, the light falling on roofs and gables of white or brown, three miles off,
The schooner near by, sleepily dropping down the tide—the little boat slack-tow’d astern,
The hurrying tumbling waves, quick-broken crests, slapping,
The strata of color’d clouds, the long bar of maroon-tint, away solitary by itself—the spread of purity it lies motionless in,
The horizon’s edge, the flying sea-crow, the fragrance of salt marsh and shore mud;
These became part of that child who went forth every day, and who now goes, and will always go forth every day.

Advertisements
22 Comments leave one →
  1. November 1, 2006 3:43 pm

I see kids coming out of school in a crowed like sheep and yelling like lions. And getting picked up.

Kristian,5-303

2. November 1, 2006 3:45 pm

Walking to the store and seeing some ducks wandering in the body of water near by. Lots of seagulls too. My little brother being fastinatined by the ships that pass once in awhile. Everything stopping for the cause.

Alyssa,5-303

3. November 1, 2006 3:46 pm

I see in the street white birds flying around my house.You see them there for 2 minutes then they fly off into te sky where the clouds are.This only happends in the summer time.

Kimberly
    class 5-303

4. November 1, 2006 3:46 pm

When I come to school I see flowers getting blown
    away birds flying in the sky and making cool stuff
    up there. Some birds searching for food in the street.
    Leslie
    class 5-303

5. November 1, 2006 3:47 pm

I see trees on 14th street.
    I see thousands of birds on 15th street.
    I see taxi’s on 16th street.
    But what I like the most is home on cozy & warm street.

6. November 1, 2006 3:49 pm

I see the sun setting, telling us is almost night time. The sun setting is beautiful too.

Sylvia, 5-303

7. November 1, 2006 3:49 pm

I went to Mickie D’s it has legends that were on the baseball team. After I ate we went(william and I)went to the stadium it was HUGE.

Natalie 5-303

8. November 1, 2006 3:51 pm

The city is filled with life. The sun glows, the birds fly, and people chat.
    Simon 5-303

9. November 1, 2006 3:54 pm

A homeless man comes to my door and asks me for money to buy a nice hot coffee and bread.When he is done,he says “Thank you”, like if he is one of famaly member.

Manuel Davila,5-303

10. November 1, 2006 3:55 pm

I see colors everywhere I go.
    When I wake up I could hear the birds singing and chirping outside my window.
    I see leaves falling of their trees,and when they are on the ground,I see people crunching on them.
    Veronica, 5-303

11. November 1, 2006 3:57 pm

After school people crowd the bus stops and the bus,some people get on the bus and some are left waiting.

Osccar,5-303

12. James permalink
    November 1, 2006 3:58 pm

I see round tires that remind me of how round the sun is. I also see well polished cars that look as bright as the sun.

James 5-303

13. November 1, 2006 4:00 pm

The way to school I take the bus and see lots
    of kids.
    Elizabeth 5-303

14. November 1, 2006 4:01 pm

When it was summer I saw all the flowers bloom
    and the trees grow back their bright green leaves.
    But now as it was getting colder and colder
    all the petals and leaves fell off. Now every time
    I pass flower beds and trees I hear sighs from them because they have no other company but themselves.

Kaitlyn 5-303

15. November 1, 2006 4:02 pm

Police chasing robbers telling the robbers to stop.Robbers shooting police,police injerd,Robbers Eseaping.

Jordan 5-303

16. November 1, 2006 4:08 pm

Environment

When I’m going to my sisters house I see dry leaves on the ground changing to diffrent colors.When I walk out side to the park the wind is pushing the swings back and forth,again, and again.

17. November 1, 2006 4:09 pm

All I see is buildings and trees, flowers and
    plants.

18. November 1, 2006 4:10 pm

All I see is buildings and trees, flowers and
    plants.

Jason 5-303

19. November 1, 2006 4:12 pm

When I go outside I see beautiful things like the Statue of Liberty and the Twin Towers and how it looks like with the buildings lights and the clouds look like a puffy sheep and tall buildings taller than me looks like a monster with so many eyes.
    Lorena 5-303

20. November 1, 2006 4:14 pm

The Mexico desert is so hot I know I would not go live there for there are snakes and scworpians there is even posin lizzers

21. November 7, 2006 6:46 pm

Class 5-303,
    I am very proud of you for entering all of these lines of poetry without my help! You have proved to me that you are ready to move on to more blogging on your own, and more technology projects, like a video production!

Nice Work!

Mr. Rhys, TMS

Trackbacks

1. The Media Spot, PD Session 1, 6.4.07 « PS 130, LET IT RIP!