The Giver; Class 5-302 video ‘trailer’ Narration
NOTES from class, followed by individual student narration writing. Be sure to click the Green Title of this post above to see the post and the 'Comments' that follow.
What is a trailer?
* a preview
* a summary
* advertisement for a movie or a TV show
* essay that tries to convince you to buyor watch a movie or TV show (or a product)
* short video clip that gives a summary with narration, they show some good scenes, to persuade an audience.
1. It's a world like no other.
2. No memories of love, war, hunger, color, or homeless.
3. Some call it perfect except 2 people — Jonas and The Giver.
4. Jonas has to make a decision to save his community.
5. Should he make the decision to give his community the memories of love, war, hunger, color or homlessness?
6. Or should he leave things the way they are?
7. It's a decision he must make that can ruin his life or not.
8. Coming soon to a computer near you.
1. This is a perfect world.
2. No feelings.
3. No color.
4. No war or pain.
5. Only Jonas and The Giver, special people who can see color, have feelings and can see war and pain.
6. All of these things for this world are very extraordinary.
7. Jonas and The Giver make no pain come upon the community.
8. Will it stay like that?
9. They lose their receiver Jonas when he runs away…
Stephanie's Narration & Script ideas
Narrator: This world is perfect, but not for 2 people.
Chief Elder: "Jonas you have been selected to be the next receiver of memory."
Show an image of Jonas seeing color.
Jonas: "How beautiful, what is it? They look so magical"
(more to come…)
1. Jonas' world is perfect: no war, no hunger, no feelings.
2. Jonas turns 12 and receives his assignment.
3. Jonas' life changed — no more childhood.
4. Jonas makes a choice to leave or not to leave his community.
5. Jonas escapes with Gabriel to 'Elsewhere'
6. Jonas sees color on Fiona's hair and an apple.
7. When Jonas asked his parents if they loved him, they said "no, we enjoy you."
8. Jonas gets memories of love and Christmas.
9. Jonas receives pain from The Giver.
10. Jonas realizes that he was adopted.
Students who did not read their narration aloud in class today should type their summary of The Giver as a 'response' to this post. This is done by clicking the Green Bold title of this post, scrolling to the bottom of the page, typing your name in the 'name' field, and typing your message in the empty rectangle. When you're finished typing click 'Submit Response'. Sometimes responses will take a little while to show up, so don't be alarmed if you don't see yours right away.